Thursday, April 9, 2009

Solomon Grundy


I first heard of Solomon Grundy on an old episode of the Ghostbusters cartoon back in the 80's.

Egon gets possessed by this spirit and goes on a rampage after appearing as a guest on some news/talk show.

I loved that cartoon...

Anyway I always thought it was a nice creepy sounding name and wanted to draw a character and call him "Solomon Grundy".

But I realized I had no idea what the origin of the name was so I did what any industrious young man would do.

I went to wikipedia.

Heres what they had to say about it:

"Solomon Grundy" is a 19th century children's nursery rhyme, and was presented by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps in 1842. The poem is essentially a riddle in which the life of Solomon Grundy appears to take place in the process of a single week, the answer being that each day's events represent the seven ages of man.
The rhyme reads:
Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end of
Solomon Grundy.

0 comments: