Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tell Me About The Rabbits, George...


This is an illustration I did for the blog Just Saying I Love You, run by my friend and fellow artist Erin Clark. It's a fun excursion into the various conditions and states of love. Sometimes serious, sometimes silly, love is exposed in it's many forms here and you're all welcome to come along for the ride!

This is (of course) based on Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. However the real idea for this came from one of the old Looney Tunes cartoons I watched as a kid. They parodied the characters with a notable scene where Lenny goes on and on (and onnnn) about how much he loves the rabbits and how he will "hug them, and kiss them, and love them, and hug them..." until oops! he's managed to smush one of them.

My apologies to Mr. Steinbeck that the scene and characterizations from a cartoon had a greater impact on me and my memories of his story then his actual book (which I quite enjoy, by the way).

Drawn relatively small at about 9 x 12 on standard weight sketch paper, pencils and inks took approximately 3 hours.