Friday, February 18, 2011

The Undisclosed Project



This is a little concept art/cover design I did a little over a year ago for a "client". I can't disclose the name or idea behind the project because it is property of the author of the work.

Basically I was approached to do the illustrations for a graphic novel but was told it would have to be a "back end deal". That means that I would get paid only if the work was published (and managed to sell significant enough quantities). Initially I was all for it but real life got in the way and I was forced to back out of the project because it would have been too much of a burden on me to not get paid up front.

I had done a few pages of story boarding and a whole lotta concept sketches (and this cover design) before I had to inform the author I would be unable to complete the project in a timely manner. It involved full pencils and inks for about one hundred (100) pages of story/art.

At the time I would have only been able to produce about 1 (maybe 2 if I was lucky) page per week. The reality of not getting paid up front meant I had to give priority to that which would, my day job. The investment of time and resources to such a project with no guarantee of being paid was too much of a risk/burden, so I politely backed out of the project.

0 comments: