Friday, March 7, 2008

Seasonal Distortion on 4th and Junipero


This one was originally entitled Seasonal Apathy on 4th and Junipero but i have since changed the title to Seasonal Distortion on 4th and Junipero.
This piece is a simple (but quite large) reduction woodcut.
It started out as one piece (the left image) entitled Summer on 4th.
Soon after I made the second (the right image) as Winter on 4th.
Two separate times of the same year where I was in the exact same spot (same table, same chair, facing the same direction) feeling the exact same way...
As I sat with my sketchbook open I noticed the pattern of shadows cast across the page so I traced them out.
Later in the year I noticed I was sitting in the exact same place in the same orientation I had been in months before. Once again I had my sketchbook open and noticed the arrangement of shadows across the page. I realized the shadows were cast by the same tree / shrub as before.
I began to think of the nature of the shadows, not as accurate representations of the plant they were cast from, but as distortions of the truth of the plant.
And being as that the location, time of day and circumstances of the two separate events were almost identical I was struck by the dissimilarity in the distortion. A dissimilarity that was predominantly attributable to the time of year.
My mind started making connections between this and circumstances in my own life and I found myself wrapped up in an internal dialog about art imitating life / life imitating art.
I combined them into a diptych after the fact...

0 comments: