Thursday, October 22, 2009

Addiction Comics!



Okay, it's pretty clearly not a real comic book. The "Addiction Comics" logo is just a modified "Action Comics" logo. This one functions as Pop Art far more then any of the others I have done.

It's a bit of a "Red Scare" political statement I guess... 50 years after the fact.

"Mr. McCarthy" is of course a reference to Sen. Joseph McCarthy. Note the Communist Soviet robot says "made in the U.S.A.." on the back of its head. A reference to the "red menace" and the origins of hysteria in the minds of U.S.. citizens.

This one took a bit of time to draw and put together. To be honest I lost track of the time I spent on it. The robot and the "G-Man" are separate drawings. Mr. G-Man was drawn pretty small (5 inches by 7 inches at best) and photoshoped in.

All in all I probably spent 12 0r 13 hours on this piece.

**EDIT** I re-drew the "g-man" in a slightly more appropriate size (closer to 9 x 12). I feel it works much better now with the new character inserted in. Thought I must admit is bums me out some of his cool detail is hidden behind SPUTNIKA...

2 comments:

Inked in Red said...

I love this one...it's soooooo funny & it's really really good. I wish it were a real comic. ;)

Inked in Red said...

Seriously though...it's the best. :)